Glycosylated Hemoglobin (HbA1C), EDTA Whole Blood
- Reporting Time:
- 6 Hrs
- Specimen Type:
- Home Collection:
- No special preparation required
1. How is estimated Average Glucose (eAG) calculated using HbA1c?
28.7 X A1c (%) - 46.7 = eAG mg/dL
2. Can blood glucose levels be monitored at home?
Yes. In already diagnosed cases of diabetes, glucose levels can be monitored at home using point-of-care test. But this is not recommended for screening or diagnosing diabetes.
3. Why are A1c and blood glucose values different?
HbA1c and blood glucose levels have different units. HbA1c gives an average value of glucose levels over a period of time (120 days) where as blood glucose levels capture the changes that occur on a daily basis.
4. How can blood glucose levels be controlled?
Dietary modifications, regular excercise, life style changes and regular use of medications can control glucose levels.