Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) Free, Serum
- Reporting Time:
- 6 Hrs
- Specimen Type:
- Home Collection:
- No special preparation required
To screen for prostate cancer in men, to determine the need for a prostate biopsy, to monitor the treatment and to detect recurrence of prostate cancer.
As a screening test in asymptomatic men, when symptoms suggestive of prostate cancer like difficult, painful, and/or frequent urination are present in men. To monitor the treatment of prostate cancer.
1. What are the treatment options for prostate cancer?
Radiation, hormone therapy, and surgery are the treatment options.
2. Can PSA testing detect all prostate cancers?
No. Sometimes the PSA test will be negative, when cancer cells produce minute quantities of PSA.
3. Is PSA testing compulsory?
PSA testing is required only if a person has symptoms indicating a prostate problem.
4. What are the other tests that may be done to decide the treatment of prostate cancer?
Gleason scoring which is given after processing and reviewing the biopsy of the prostate, is helpful to decide the grade of prostate cancer and plan the treatment. Prostate gene expression profile using the biopsy sample is important the prognosis.